In the Texas Tea Stitchers I was nominated to be the Bee Keeper. Well, actually I was asked to be the Bee Coordinator but I thought that name was kinda boring, thus I became the Bee Keeper. My role is to keep track of our guild’s bees not to run them. As a Bee Keeper I am a kind of central repository or resource to find out about current bees. I will try to keep up with the folks who are in the guild bees. I hope they notify me when they start or end a bee. That sure would help.
As Bee Keeper I’m to keep track of the Queen or King Bees. Basically a Queen or King Bee is the ‘host’ of a bee. Some guilds call these people Momma or Poppa Bees. Generally, the Queen or Kins is the person generally in charge of the bee. Typically their responsibilities include:
- compiling all participants and making a list of email addresses, blogs, flickr names & mailing addresses
- setting up the schedule of months
- deciding on the “rules” of the bee
- facilitating communication between members (sending out emails, facebook posts, twitter tweets, phone calls, etc.)
- answering any questions from bee members
- organizing meet ups online or in person.
And if it is a monthly block echange type of bee or a round robin duties can also include:
- helping keep track of who’s month it is, and if fabrics have been sent out, and recieved.
- keeping track of blocks made/returned
- deciding how to address conflicts within the bee (fabrics or blocks lost in the mail, members dropping out, tardy blocks)